Transportation Systems Modeling and Analysis: multimodal transportation planning and modeling, bike share program operations management, reliable hub-and-spoke network design, airline disruption management
Air Traffic Management and Performance Evaluation: airport surface operations management, airspace complexity analysis, airfield and airspace capacity and delay analysis, performance evaluation of new technologies/procedures in air transportation
Sustainable Transportation Design and Evaluation: bike share program planning and design, shared transport systems simulation, modeling and analysis, energy and environmental impact analysis of emerging technologies in air transportation, compatibility analysis of energy facilities with airport and airspace, eco-traffic operations and management
Autonomous Systems Analysis: transportation applications of unmanned aerial systems, evaluation the impact of autonomous/driver-less vehicles to transportation systems
Logistics and Freight Transportation Management: re-positioning of empty containers, air cargo movement and interaction between air, maritime, and surface freight transportation, reliable facility location problems for logistic systems Transportation Safety Analysis: data collection and statistical analysis of bicycle and pedestrian safety, interactions between traffic control/management and traffic crashes.
Key words of research interests/areas:
optimization, algorithm, environment, energy, sustainability, intermodal transportation, air cargo, freight movement, autonomous vehicle, next generation air transport system, intercity transport
Honors and Awards:
Students and Others:
- Congratulate Hualong Tang and Yuan Wang for receiving Tenth National Aviation System Planning Symposium Graduate Student Participation Grants to participate this symposium May 20-23, 2018 in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Congratulate Natalia Barbour for being selected as one of 20 top graduate students in transportation to attend Eno Future Leaders Development Conference, May 20-24, 2018 in Washington D.C.
- Congratulate Yuan Wang for being awarded the 2017 Georgia Brosch Memorial Transportation Scholarship.
- Congratulate Yuan Wang for for receiving the 2017 TRBACRP Graduate Research Award. It is national level award sponsored by FAA and administrated by Transportation Research Board.
- Congratulate Natalia Barbour for receiving USF Graduate Student Success Scholarship. It is a three-year scholarship covering the tuition and stipend.
- Congratulate Nikhil Menon for being awarded the 2015 Georgia Brosch Memorial Transportation Scholarship.
- Congratulate Makarand Gawade for receiving the 2014 ACRP Graduate Research Award. It is national level award sponsored by FAA and administrated by Transportation Research Board.
- Congratulate Makarand Gawade for being awarded the 2013 Georgia Brosch Memorial Transportation Scholarship
- Congratulate Rui Guo for receiving 2012 Anne Brewer Scholarship.
- Congratulate Qing Wang for being awarded the 2012 Georgia Brosch Memorial Transportation Scholarship
- Congratulate Makarand Gawade (as the second author with Dr. Yu Zhang) for receiving the Best Paper Award for the airline operations, quality of service and marketing track in 5th International Conference on Research in Air Transportation (ICRAT 2012).
- Congratulate Nagesh Nayak (as the second author with Dr. Yu Zhang) for receiving 2011 Transportation Research Board's Fred Burggraf Award, which recognizes excellence in transportation research by researchers 35 years of age or under.
- Congratulate Nagesh Nayak for receiving 2011 Anne Brewer Scholarship.
- Congratulat Nagesh Nayak for receiving 2010 ACRP Graduate Research Award. It is national level award sponsored by FAA and administrated by Transportation Research Board.
- Congratulate Hongyun Chen for being awarded the 2010 Georgia Brosch Memorial Transportation Scholarship
- Congratulate Nagesh Nayak for receiving 2008 Anne Brewer Scholarship. Anne Brewer was a great ITS visionary and leader. The ITS Florida scholarship program renamed in her honor will serve to assist future ITS leaders in Florida and serve as a lasting memory of Anne’s contributions to ITS.
Dr. Yu Zhang
- Best Paper Award for the airline operations, quality of service and marketing track in 5th International Conference on Research in Air Transportation (ICRAT 2012).
- 2010 Fred Burggraf Award, Aviation, for excellence in transportation research by researchers 35 years of age or younger, presented by Transportation Transportation Research Board (TRB) of the National Academies of Science
- Robert Horonjeff Memorial Grant (2007)
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad (2006)
- UCTC Dissertation Grant (2006-2007)
- UCTC fellowship (2005-2006)
- Graduate Scholarship, UC Berkeley (2003-2004)
- Departmental Block Grant Fellowship, UC Berkeley (2002-2003)
- James H. Kell Student Competition Award, Institute of Transportation Engineer (2003)
- Best paper of Nanjing Transportation Bureau, China, (1999)
- Employee of the year, Nanjing Highway Administration, China (1998)
- Honored Graduate, Southeast University, China (1997)
- Undergraduate Fellowship, Southeast University, China (1993-1997)